Monday, November 24, 2014

Thoughts on the Alchemist

Hey Everyone!
I'm attempting to be more active on my blog, it's a personal goal of mine.  Today I wanted to share some thoughts on a book I read a few weeks ago.

Recently I was a recommended the Alchemist (Paulo Coelho) by a friend who seemed very sure that it was one of the greatest books ever.  So I decided I would find it and read it.  Needless to say I couldn't put it down.  Sure, it only took me an hour or so to read, but in that short time period, it was the only thing I could focus on.

For those of you who haven't read the book:

The Alchemist is the story of a poor shepherd boy who one day has a dream, and he continues to have this same dream several times.  So he decides he must follow it.  The boy is quite the decided one, and does not give up.  I wont give up the rest of the story (you'll just have to read it), but I must say I was touched.  The boy's determination led me to over think my goals in life, and my desires as a human being.  Whether you are religious or not, the Alchemist, can have a large impact on your vision of what the future holds for you.  I know that it most certainly did for me.

"'I guess you don't believe that a king would talk to someone like me, a shepherd,' he said, wanting to end the conversation.
'Not at all. It was shepherds who were the first to recognize a king that the rest of the world refused to acknowledge. So, it's not surprising that kings would talk to shepherds.'" Page 69

This is a beautiful truth, and brings me peace. Social classes don't have all that much importance when it comes down to it.  The boy Santiago didn't allow his social class to hold him back. In fact he was magnificent and very proud of his life as a shepherd boy. As should we be of our own lives and personal accomplishments. 

"We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it's our life or our possessions and property. But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand." Page 76

Take a look at that beautiful truth. Not to mention the luxurious way in which it is placed upon paper (or in this case the internet).  Love for my Father in Heaven grew as I read this book and realized the incredible life we can have thanks to him.  Dealing with Dad's cancer, that has been hard; but as I read this book, it gave me that hope.  Santiago, received that same hope throughout his life story.

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has suffered when it goes in pursuit of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second's encounter with God and with eternity." Page 130

Why fear something to come?  Why can't we just live life where we currently are, roll with the punches. Steady as she goes right?  If we really strive to meet our life Dreams, God will be by us every step of the way, and that is what matters.  Which reminds me of a beautiful poem I once heard:




One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.
This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”


The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”
Mary Stevenson, 1936

So I hope you enjoy that poem, and I hope, if you haven't already, go find the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and read it.

Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

Love,

Me

1 comments:

The Jolley Family said...

Payden, I'll have to read "the Alchemist" now. Thanks for your suggestion. You might want to read "Train to Potevka" before Dad returns it to Hunt Willoughby. Fast read and inspiring. Love, Mom

Post a Comment

 

Ponder © 2010

Blogger Templates by Splashy Templates